Comic Craze (June 10-11)
Whether you haven’t flipped through a comic since your youth or are a full-fledged comic junky, Ocala Comic Con is an event you just can’t miss.
Now in its fifth year, Ocala Comic Con gathers thousands of comic fans for an event like no other. With an impressive lineup of live-action characters making an appearance, this year’s event promises not to disappoint.
The event will take place at the Hilton Ocala from 10am-6pm on Saturday and 11am-6pm on Sunday, and tickets range from $15 for a single day pass to $25 for a weekend pass. VIP tickets are available as well.
For more information and a schedule of events, visit ocalacomiccon.com or the Ocala Comic Con Facebook Page.
Eating On The Run! (June 3)
Most runners grab for an energy gel or electrolyte drink while logging miles in the summer sun. But only the very bravest of the brave will reach for a donut… or six! The fifth annual Running of the Donuts 5K challenges hungry competitors to run 1.5 miles, eat six donuts and finish the last 1.5 miles of a run at breakneck speed. Not up for a sugary half-dozen during a race? A more traditional 5K race will take place prior to the donut run for those looking to watch their waistlines. And for those looking to log a mile for each donut consumed, “The Challenge” option will include both the traditional 5K and the Running of the Donuts 5K. The runs will take place at the Baseline Trailhead, with the first 5K taking off at 7:30am followed by the Running of the Donuts at 8:45am. Custom medals and pint glasses will be awarded to finishers. runningofthedonuts.itsyourrace.com or (904)318-8104.
The Final Four (July 4)
After months of logging miles and collecting medals, it’s time once again to strap on your sneakers and make your way to the starting line. The final race of the Big Hammock Race Series Season 2, presented by Prime Mortgage Group, will wind runners through downtown Ocala for the annual 4 On The Fourth four miler. The race kicks off at Veterans Memorial Park at 7:30am and is sure to draw a crowd as dedicated runners will be eager to earn their final points toward winning some pretty impressive race bling. So don your red, white and blue and head out for the final four of Ocala’s top racing series. For more information on the Big Hammock Race Series and race results, visit the Big Hammock Race Series Facebook page or bighammockraceseries.com.
Pups on Patrol (June 24-25)
What do you do when it’s the day of the Great Adventure Bay Race and one of the key participants is missing? You call in the PAW Patrol! The pups from the hit children’s television show are coming to Florida on their first ever live tour. Join Marshall, Chase, Skye, Rubble, Rocky, Zuma and Everest as they search high and low for the missing Mayor Goodway and share many lessons for kids of all ages along the way. PAW Patrol Live! comes to the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts in Orlando June 24-25. pawpatrollive.com.
Downtown To Dos
- June 10, 24 › Worship on the Square, downtown Ocala, 5pm
- Free ESL Classes › Wednesdays at First Baptist Church of Ocala at 6pm, (352) 629-5683
- Free ESL Classes › Wednesdays at College Road Baptist Church at 6pm, (352) 854-6981
- Chair Yoga › Wednesdays at Blissful Life Corporation at 10:30am, (352) 694-YOGA
- Yoga for Trauma Survivors › Sunday at Blissful Life Corporation at 9am, (352) 694-YOGA
- Survivors Support Group › Last Tuesday of the month at 1pm in the chapel at Ocala West United Methodist Church (room 235), (352) 291-6904
Arts, Crafts and Culture
- Upcoming Exhibits At The Appleton › Diversity in Cultures Through African Insights by artist Annelies Dykgraaf consists of woodblock and linocut prints using textile pattern designs and themes of West African folk tales and myths. The exhibit runs through June 11. Con-Text: The Word Based Images of Tyrus Clutter explores the ways humans interpret both words and images. An opening reception will take place on June 10 at 5:30pm, and the exhibit will be on display through August 6. Coveted Delights: Qing Dynasty Snuff Bottles From the Permanent Collection will include approximately 35 snuff bottles highlighting the technical artistry of Qing dynasty craftsmen. The exhibit will be on display through August 27. Bandits & Heroes, Poets & Saints. Popular Art Of the Northeast of Brazil explores how the ancient cultures of Africa blended with indigenous and colonial Portuguese traditions to form the vibrant and complex cultural mosaic of modern Brazil. The exhibit will open June 17 and be on display through August 13. appletonmuseum.org or (352) 291-4455.
- Artist Alley Exhibit (June 2) › Artist Alley members present a new exhibit, Fins, Feather and Fur. The exhibit will open on June 2 with a reception featuring live music and hors d’oeuvres from 5-8pm. The exhibit is on display through June 30. (352) 369-1500.
- Brick City Blues Festival (June 2) › The Reilly Arts Center will host the 2017 Brick City Blues Festival, a narrated blues show featuring authentic blues from the Chitlin Circuit. General admission tickets are $25, and VIP tickets are available for $50 and feature a pre-show reception, complimentary beer and wine, appetizers and prime seating. All proceeds benefit Feed the Need. Doors open at 6:30pm, and the show begins at 7:30pm. reillyartscenter.com or (352) 351-1606.
Levitt AMP Ocala Music Series Concerts (June 2, 9, 16, 23, 30) › The 2017 Levitt AMP Concert series will take place each Friday through July 21. Each concert will feature a different performer and highlight a different genre. Concerts take place at Webb Field in Ocala and begin at 8pm. For a complete lineup, visit concerts.legittamp.org or (352) 629-8220.
- Gourd Workshop (June 17) › The Marion County Gourd Artist Association will host a gourd art workshop at All About Art in Belleview at 9:30am. Dues are $16 per person for the year and $25 for a family. marioncountygourdartists.com or (352) 871-3786.
Outdoor & Athletic Endeavors
- Group Bike Rides (Ongoing) › Brick City Bicycles offers group bike rides throughout the week and weekend. brickcitybicycles.com or (352) 369-9400.
- Kayak Outings (Ongoing) › The Marion County Parks and Recreation Department will host several kayak outings for children and adults. marioncountyfl.org or (352) 671-8560.
- Full Moon Kayak Tour (June 11) › Silver Springs State Park will host a kayak tour around Raccoon Island. The event will include glow sticks, s’mores, a campfire, music and more. Registration is $2 per person for park entrance fee. silver HYPERLINK “http://springs.com”springs.com or (352)261-5840.
- Yoga in the Park (June 18) › Power Yoga Ocala will host an hour-long yoga session at Tuscawilla Park at noon. The session is free and open to the public. The group will meet at the oak tree between the playground and Reilly Arts Center. (352) 368-5535.
Other Fun Stuff!
- Faculty Meet and Greet (June 2) › Master the Possibilities will host a faculty meet and greet as well as a tour of the facilities from 1:30-3:30pm. Course catalogues will be available, and a sampler course will be held 10:30am-12:30pm. masterthepossibilities.com or (352) 861-9751.
- Wine and Tapas (June 3) › A variety of shops and restaurants will participate in this downtown event, featuring tapas with paired wine, beer and spirits. Tickets are $50 and are limited. Check-in begins at 4pm, and the event begins at 5pm. feeldowntownocala.com.
- After Dark in the Park Movie (June 16) › The Jervey Gantt Recreation Complex will host a free outdoor movie from 8:30-10:30pm. This month’s film is The BFG, and popcorn and drinks will be available for a small fee. Guests are encouraged to bring blankets and lawn chairs. ocalafl.org or (352) 368-5517.
- Beach Party (June 30) › Lake Sumter Landing Market Square in The Villages will host a beach-themed party from 5-9pm. The evening will include entertainment, food, giveaways, prizes and a beach hat contest. thevillagesentertainment.com or (352)750-5411.
- Flags, Freedom and Fireworks (July 1) › Evolution Dance will hold two performances of their newly enhanced patriotic show. The performance honors the men and women who have served our country and will be held at 4pm and 7pm at the Savannah Center in The Villages. Tickets are $20 for residents and $25 for non-residents. thevillagesentertainment.com or (352)750-5411.
- Patriotic Spectacular (July 3) › The combined Bands of the Villages will present a compilation of patriotic songs in honor of our nation and those who have served. Performances will be held at the Savanna Center at 3pm and 7pm. Proceeds benefit Fisher House. thevillagesentertainment.com or (352) 750-5411.