AdventHealth’s new care pavilion in Ocala offers a wide array of services in one location.
The former site of an upscale automotive dealership in Southwest Ocala is now a state-of-the-art health care facility. The sprawling property at 3949 Southwest College Road, which once showcased BMWs, Volkswagens and Porsches, now is the home of the AdventHealth Care Pavilion Heathbrook.
The venue is designed to combine patient services such as primary and specialty care, diagnostic imaging and outpatient lab services. There is even a café in which to grab some refreshments between appointments. The Ocala campus is the fifth AdventHealth Care Pavilion in Florida.
“We offer streamlined appointments, extended hours and a concierge-style approach for patient comfort and efficiency,” notes Dr. Darshan Patel, a primary care physician at the Ocala facility. “The local community has shown tremendous support for this accessible care model, appreciating the convenience and comprehensive services available at our care pavilion.”
Lauren Rozyla, senior manager of media communications with the AdventHealth West Florida Division, shares that, “in collaboration with Radiology Associates of Ocala, our facility has a suite of imaging services, from CT scans to digital X-rays, MRI, mammography and bone density scanning, all aimed at empowering individuals to take charge of their health screenings conveniently.”
Patel is dual board-certified in family and geriatrics medicine and is a clinical adjunct faculty member at Lincoln Memorial University-DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine. He moved to Ocala in 2023.
We asked the doctor to offer some thoughts about health and wellness, and he outlined the following:
- As a medical professional, I firmly advocate a whole-person approach to wellness, focusing on various aspects of a healthy lifestyle. First, healthy eating plays a pivotal role. At every meal, I recommend consuming an array of high fiber, nutrient-dense and antioxidant-rich foods. These include a rainbow of fruits and vegetables, beans, whole grains, legumes, herbs and spices. It’s essential to aim for filling half to three-quarters of your plate with these nourishing options.
- I also recommend limiting sugary drinks like soda or juice cocktails, red meat, processed meats such as sausage or bacon and processed snacks like crackers or chips, and not indulging in cakes, pastries or sweets.
- Hydration is often overlooked but critical. It’s important to stay adequately hydrated with water and fluids throughout the day.
- Physical activity is another cornerstone of wellness. Building more activity into daily life, such as parking farther away or always taking the stairs, is beneficial. I recommend a routine of regular moderate physical activity that includes aerobic or endurance activities like running, swimming, biking or brisk walking, strength training or resistance activities such as weightlifting, or bodyweight exercises like squats or lunges, stretching, some forms of yoga and balance activities. Always consult your doctor before starting a new activity.
- Avoidance of risky substances is so important too. I strongly advise against tobacco use and excessive alcohol consumption, as they increase risks for many cancers and heart diseases.
- Quality sleep is often undervalued but crucial for overall health. You should aim for seven to nine hours of sleep per night and develop an evening routine to relax before bedtime.
- Social connections are an essential aspect of well-being. Spending time with friends and family who lift your spirits and engaging in meaningful volunteering can greatly contribute to mental and emotional health.
- Stress reduction techniques are invaluable in maintaining wellness. Taking time for oneself, practicing relaxation methods like meditation or yoga, and spending time in nature can significantly reduce stress levels.
- Setting SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time-bound) is an effective strategy for personal improvement.
- Lastly, staying proactive in health care by scheduling an annual wellness visit with your primary care physician is crucial. This includes updating medical records, discussing preventive measures and setting up a patient portal for convenient access to personal health information.
“These practices, when integrated into daily life,” Patel offers, “contribute immensely to a well-rounded and healthy lifestyle.”
The new AdventHealth Care Pavilion at Heathbrook is open 7am to 7pm Monday through Friday, with lab hours from 7am to 5pm and imaging hours from 7:30am to 5pm. Those wishing to learn if their health care insurance plan is accepted may call (352) 401-8800.
For more information, go to adventhealth.com/care-pavilion/adventhealth-care-pavilion/heathbrook