August 24 is National Waffle Day, celebrated on the anniversary of a U.S. patent on the waffle iron. Waffles are a classic morning pick-me-up, but you shouldn’t stop at breakfast. With the right batter and toppings, you can take waffles to the next level with the unlimited combinations available of easy recipes. It’s up to you to find your favorite.
Check out our top 10 ideas for spicing up your next waffle.
- For a sweet treat, try a plain Belgian waffle with chocolate spread or hot fudge. Add powdered sugar or a handful of mini marshmallows.
- Spread peanut butter on a warm waffle and add chopped banana and a drizzle of honey, or create a dish topped with caramel sauce and sliced apples sprinkled with cinnamon.
- Although simple, hazelnut spread and cups of fresh fruit is a favorite of all ages.
- For a heavier dish, top a waffle with macaroni and cheese and sprinkle with bacon bits. The crispy, fluffy breading combines with mac and cheese and can be folded when eaten.
- The perfect marriage of savory and sweet comes in the form of waffles with syrup and a side of hot, crispy fried chicken.
- It’s hard to beat fresh waffles topped with a scoop of cold vanilla ice cream and your choice of jam. Peaches and cream works well, as do strawberries and whipped cream.
- Although what’s on waffles is important, don’t overlook what’s in waffles. Vanilla or brownie batter can be used more for dessert dishes, but use cinnamon batter and top with blueberry compote for a dish flavorful and juicy, perfect for berry lovers.
- You can also use mashed potatoes as batter to create Belgian waffles. Add cheddar and scallions to the mix and serve with a dollop of sour cream.
- Waffles are eaten as street food in China—large, round and served readily by vendors—and throughout the Nordic countries of Europe where they’re thin and heart-shaped. All over the world people indulge in this delighted breakfast treat, and it’s only right that you join in on the fun.
- Bring out the waffle iron and pour in your favorite cornbread batter. To make it dinner-worthy, top it off with your go-to chili recipe and enjoy.