“Mocktails” or “fauxtails” can be a fun and delicious addition to your entertaining repertoire year-round if you follow some simple guidelines.
Keep it healthy. Experiment with some of the healthier options out there, or simply cut the sugar amount in half. Fresh fruit is at its peak in the summer, so rely on its natural sweetness. Use organic, non-GMO cane sugar if necessary or substitute with wild, local honey, maple syrup or Stevia. By all means, avoid artificial sweeteners.
Keep it colorful. A splash of brightly colored fresh juice goes a long way. Use colorful, interesting glassware to add to the festive feel. Remember, we feast with our eyes as well as our palate!
Get creative. Pretty, flirty glassware and interesting accessories, such as straws, stirrers, garnishes and picks, add a touch of whimsy. Edible garnishes, such as herbs, pickled veggies and fresh fruit skewers, are readily available and add personality.
(Makes one pitcher)
- 1 container organic frozen pink lemonade concentrate (thawed)
- 4 cups lime-flavored sparkling water
- 2 limes, juiced
Place all ingredients in a pitcher, and stir. › Pour into a chilled glass with ice › Garnish with a pink flamingo straw.
- 1 container of organic frozen orange juice concentrate (thawed)
- 4 cans of Pellegino “Aranciata” Orange Soda
- 1 Splash of organic 1/2 & 1/2 (optional)
Combine all ingredients in a pitcher, and stir. › Pour into chilled champagne flutes. › Garnish with fresh strawberry.
Virgin Bloody Mary
- 1 bottle of quality organic vegetable or tomato juice
- 1 lemon, juiced
- To taste add: Worcestershire Sauce, Hot Sauce, Celery Salt and Horseradish Sauce (or Freshly Grated)
Stir, and pour into a tall glass. › Garnish with celery stalks, skewered cooked shrimp, olives or pickled vegetables.
- 1 cup of mango purée
Fill pitcher with lime-flavored sparkling soda. › Stir, and pour into chilled glass. › Garnish with skewered, cubed fresh mango and blueberries.